Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hello Sweet Summertime!!!! (and a Five for Friday!!!)

Today is the first day of summer vacation and as I write this I still can't believe it. The time flew by so quickly!!!

Ha! How true is this! Cracks me up!!

I have completely abandoned this little blog of mine so I could make it through these last few weeks, but I'm alive and oh-so-ready for summer! Although, I must admit, I am the total NERD who loves everything about school- my co-workers, my kiddos, school supplies, that funky cafeteria smell (don't judge!), all of it!  So, I go through some pretty serious withdrawals before I can completely embrace summer. :) Surely I'm not the only one.... right?!?

Moving on... it's time to link up with  Doodlebug's for the first Five For Friday (on a Saturday) of my summer!





Parent Presentations!

Last year, I started a tradition of giving a small parent performance after our annual end-of-year awards ceremony and we continued with it this year. The kids chose their favorite thing they learned from third grade and spoke about it for a minute or so. Some of the kids made posters to show what they learned, others used props, it was too cute!  Two little ones were the MC's for the whole thing, we served cookies and punch, and the parents seemed to really enjoy it! I was so proud of them! 






Class Gifts

This year I went with a simple end of year gift- a copy of the class picture slideshow, a writing tablet, and a pen. That's it! The kids loved it and it sure did save me a lot of time and money!! 






Self- Contained!!

I recently found out that I am going to be self-contained next year!!!! I have wanted this for a while now and I am super excited! I have been self-contained before and have team taught for the last three years. I'm ready for this change, but I have lots of math and science planning to do!!!  

I can finally use some of those amazing pins I've pinned over the last three years!! 




Summer Book Study!

I am teaming up with the amazing Sabra from Teaching With a Touch of Twang and several other fabulous bloggers for a summer book study! Each week someone will be blogging about a particular chapter from the book. The book we will be reading together is called Word Nerds: Teaching All Students to Learn and Love Vocabulary.

Vocabulary instruction is hugely important for my students' success. I can't wait to dive into this book and learn how I can improve my instruction. If you want to join in, go get the book and dive in with us!! Check in on Sabra's page each week starting the week of June 13th for the weekly posts. I will be blogging about Chapter 4 the week of July 5th, so be sure to check back in for that! :)





Rest and Relaxation!



This is my parent's backyard where I will be spending lots of hot and humid summer days with my family. It's time for this teacher to relax and rejuvenate!!!


How has your week gone?? Head over to Doodlebugs and link up!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out friend! I'm still waiting to hear back from my principal if we are going self-contained or not and I secretly (well not really a secret, lol) want to as well. I'm in the same boat, I've been teaching ELA/SS for three years and I'm ready for a change :o) So excited for you!

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Glad you got the change you were hoping for. :) Good luck with the math and science.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Kelly. I saw you came to my blog so I thought I'd come check yours out...I love the parent performance idea. I teach 1st...I bet my little ones would love to do this. :0)

    Glad I found you back...I'm your latest follower.

    Mandy :0)

    Follow me at Mandelina's Madness

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment! I appreciate it!

Follow on Bloglovin
Third Grade Blogger