Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Fabulous Find: Positive Discipline A-Z!

Today was such a fabulous day! I am so lucky to have an amazing friend who enjoys spending hours in Barnes and Noble (like I do) spread out on the floor completely in the way of other customers, but totally engrossed in books!! While browsing, I came across a fabulous resource!

Before I can get to that, I have to tell you about this book- Positive Discipline.  This book was an assigned read during my classroom management course in college. Although it was just an assigned read then, it has become a MUST-have now.

This book is chock-full of great tips, ideas, and resources. This is the book that helped me establish my class meeting routine and the wonderful Wheel of Choice. However, the gem of the book (in my opinion) is what the author, Jane Nelsen, calls The Mistaken Goals Chart. This baby helps you boil down a child's behavior to figure out their "mistaken goal," or what they are really trying to achieve with their unacceptable behavior. It helps you identify YOUR emotion (as the teacher) when a child behaves a certain way, describes ways students typically respond, and ultimately helps the teacher identify the child's mistaken goal. Then, it outlines respectful and effective ways for the teacher to respond.

 The four mistaken goals are:

1. Undue Attention (to keep others busy or get special service)
2. Misguided Power (to be boss)
3. Revenge (to get even)
4. Assumed Inadequacy (to give up and be left alone)

Basically, most misbehavior can be traced back to some sort of mistaken goal. Once that mistaken goal is identified, the teacher can go about meeting the child's needs in an effective and respectful way and thus avoid those difficult and confrontational situations. It's a goldmine.

I can honestly say that nothing else in my career has helped me better understand my students than this book. It has helped me identify the hidden cause of typical misbehaviors and equipped me with the tools to handle difficult situations with respect for myself and the student. It has increased my confidence and my relationships with my kiddos have been more rewarding than ever. I could do a whole series of blog posts about this book (and I just might!). And no, I am not getting payed for this- promise!!!!

Now, with THAT being said, imagine my surprise when I found THIS baby on the shelf!!!!



Seriously?!!?? MORE greatness?!?!?!

This book is a practical guide- imagine an instruction manual- that breaks down numerous typical behaviors seen in the classroom and alphabetizes them from A-Z (hence the title). The biggies are included (anger, disrespectful behavior), but lots of other behaviors are addressed (gossip, graffiti-just to name a few) as well. Each section includes a general discussion of the behavior, suggestions to help handle the behavior, suggestions for planning ahead to prevent future problems, PLUS inspirational stories!!!

I wish I could take pages out of the book and show them to you here, but I don't want to infringe on any copyright laws!!! Head on over to Amazon now to take a look for yourself. I promise- you will NOT be disappointed.

My amazing friend, who just so happens to be my teammate, and I discussed how valuable this resource will be during the year when we have our team meetings. I think every teacher needs a copy on their shelf!

Positive Discipline also has their own website where you can find the whole line of Positive Discipline products. It's worth a look!

Do you have any other tips, suggestions, or advice related to these books?? Has anyone read them and had positive experiences?? I would LOVE to hear your feedback!


2 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued!!! I'm going to have to go check out both tomorrow! Thanks for the find friend :o)

    Sabra
    Teaching with a Touch of Twang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the first one, but like you didn't know about the second! WOW!
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment! I appreciate it!

Follow on Bloglovin
Third Grade Blogger