Saturday, May 11, 2013

Dazzle on a Dime, Forced Analogies, and a FREEBIE!



A few weeks ago I went to Region IV to get my GT update hours and I was not disappointed! The training I experienced was engaging and I came away with TONS  of practical ideas to implement in my classroom.

The presenters were Deanna Allison and Paula McClendon of Dazzle on a Dime.





These wonderful ladies guided us through several of their techniques that they have creatively named the "iDazzle Apps." Each "app" is a different technique or method that can be applied to any subject area and will add a little "dazzle" to your instruction. The connection to the iPhone will definitely excite the kiddos!


The techniques they included in their presentation are practical, easy to use, and effective. They are applicable for all kids, but can easily be differentiated for gifted learners. They provide the perfect outlet for creativity and create opportunities for students to display their learning in different ways.

They have several downloadable products in their e-store that apply the apps to specific content areas. I have my eye on several products that were designed specifically for third grade curriculum in Texas. Yay!

Not only have they created these wonderful techniques and products, but they have put together a fabulous website that provides all kinds of other resources for each subject area for FREE! It's obvious they have put lots of time into gathering the best ideas and they have put them all in one place- which is perfect for us busy teachers!

 This is only part of their science page. It's full of great links! No, I am not getting paid to advertise for them, I just genuinely loved their presentation and feel compelled to share!




It's worth your time to check out everything these ladies have to offer. If you're in Texas, check your regional service center sessions because they may be coming to your area soon! You won't want to miss what they have to share!

Until then, check out their website for some fabulous ideas!

Recently, I tried using one of their strategies in my classroom and the kids LOVED it! It's called Forced Analogies. Forced analogies take two things and compare them using the format: _____ is like _____ because they both ______. The strategy is so versatile and it really makes kids (and teachers!) think.

Because I love this strategy so much, I created a file that contains 30 analogies. Here's a sample of what's included:


Included in this file are 10 analogies comparing various things, 10 math related analogies using geometric shapes, measuring tools, and numbers, and 10 grammar related analogies using adjectives, adverbs, verbs, etc. 

The students can think of the most basic ways the two things can be similar (they both start with 's'), or they can come up with creative answers. The goal is to come up with as many answers as possible. It's great for all types of learners and really gives your gifted kiddos a chance to tap into their creativity. It's also a great thing to pull out when you need to fill an extra five minutes! 

Grab your copy HERE!

If you have any issues downloading it, e-mail me and I can send it to you via e-mail. 

I'm looking forward to creating other things using the strategies these wonderful ladies presented about! 


 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. What a fun way to stretch our kids thinking. Thanks for sharing.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Bethany! I hope your kids enjoy it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment! I appreciate it!

Follow on Bloglovin
Third Grade Blogger