Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Classroom Negotiator

Just a quick post tonight because I had to share!

My kids applied for class jobs last week- more to come on that later- and the kids decided that one of the jobs we needed in the classroom was a negotiator- someone to mediate when students are having disagreements. I know, right?! Who would have thought?! I had never thought to have a negotiator before and I was a little hesitant to add this job title to the list, but I did it anyway. We frequently use negotiation steps in our classroom, but I am always the one who guides the students through the steps. I have never trusted a kid with that responsibility.

As part of their application process, the students had to explain why they thought they would be good at the job they applied for. Out of complete surprise, one of my quietest kids applied to be the negotiator. I was shocked! And to be totally honest, I was a little apprehensive because I have some kiddos who I would expect to completely out-talk him and run him over.  His reasoning for deserving the job was solid- he stays out of trouble and he felt like he could help others solve their problems. I gave in and gave him the job!

Today, he had his first go at it! Two students were having a disagreement during our word study partner work, so I called him to the back table and gave him the copy of the negotiation steps. He called the students back to the table and began the process. This kid was a champ! He jumped right in, led the kids through the steps, and helped them solve their problem. He gave advice and even offered tips and suggestions for various solutions!  I had NEVER seen this kid in this light and it took all the strength I had not to cry! He made me so proud! It's amazing what kids can do when given the opportunity. I am so glad I gave him this role- he totally blew my socks off. I'm almost secretly hoping that we have some sort of skirmish tomorrow so he can work his magic again ;)

My professor back in college gave me these steps, so I have no idea where they originated. If you happen to know, please let me know so I can give proper credit where credit is due! The only thing I have changed since college is the font and clip art! If you are interested in having these steps for yourself, click HERE to pick up a copy for yourself!

It's only Wednesday, but this has been a long week! I am building up to Dr. Seuss Day and I am so excited!
Have a great night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment! I appreciate it!

Follow on Bloglovin
Third Grade Blogger